Friday 5 January 2018

Devvon Terrell – Weird Nights - Album Review

Now, first of all, I am extremely late on this one but, this deserved to be talk about. Devvon Terrell is not an artist I know much about, but one that I shall definitely be keeping an ear towards from now on. Having heard his song “Temperature” on the Joe Budden podcast, thanks to Rory Farrell choosing this as the sleeper’s song of the week, I was instantly hooked and knew I need more of this.

The album starts with the opening “6 O’Clock” which is 1:55 of bliss. In terms of opening for an album, this song has set the mood for me that Devvon is not here to suck up to companies, he is going to be himself and be patient no matter how long it will take him. With lyrics such as “Remember when all these people around us didn't fuck with us. Ryan told me be myself and watch how they come to us. So, I'm waiting here you can tell Devvon has the integrity and humbleness to know this is not going to an overnight success story.
The first few songs from the album are enough to captivate the listener, and I’m certain that he has gained many fans with his music. His selection of beats and knowing the right tone to go with the beats is expertly picked, almost as if he is a music vet and understand the importance of a good beat and the way to match this. This is evident on the song “You Been Gone” which despite the lonely lyrics of a lady leaving him and not knowing where she goes, Devvon express a vocal range showing the pain and making the listener in captivated in his story telling. With a mixture of rap/singing this song is of high quality and one that should definitely help make Devvon a success.
The album goes from strength to strength and the storytelling throughout the album is winning me over, I love albums that have a story to it, and this is one of those albums. Maybe its due to the fact I have been in these situations as Devvon of feeling like a side dude, and not knowing where the lady is, but this album really speaks to me. Even singles like “Cougar” which, lets be honest, every guy has thought about having a cougar, and this is definitely the tune I shall pay next time I have a cougar with me.

The single that won me over “Temperature” which is definitely going to help Devvon grow as an artist to a new fanbase (like me) could be a song that would be found on the likes of a Bryson Tiller album or even The Weeknd. The way Devvon vocals express so much emotion and you can hear the predicament and love Devvon has for the lady, even if he is only a “side dude” you can’t help but go to the girl’s house because she has you that hooked on her. Even though you know you shouldn’t, being the side dude isn’t all that bad, with Devvon highlighting the pros and cons. Sure, its annoying the get a text at 3am to come over, but when you do you know its going to be nothing but connecting with the lady. This song could definitely be an anthem for many people at university and college.
The album closes with the rap inspired “Born Sinner” which finds Devvon at his most vulnerable and speaking his pain to the audience, explaining the pain and struggles he has had to entail in his life. This song closes the album perfectly and really makes us feel like we are listening to Devvon project the album as a diary, opening himself up for the fans and letting them really connect to him as an artist.


This album is a perfect blend of R&B with rap, choosing the correct time to know when the audience wants to hear Devvon spitting the truth, or when we want to hear Devvon crooning the chorus for our ears. This album is what I expected Bryson Tillers album to be, a new style of R&B that is taking off. In a year when R&B really took off, it seems this gem has been uncovered from the list, and definitely one of the best projects released by an R&B artist last year, matching the likes of DVSN, Chris Brown and SZA in terms of quality. What’s next for Devvon Terrell is uncertain, but if he continues in this direction, he’s got a fan for life. Let me know if you’re ever in the UK! 

No comments:

Post a Comment